Winston Smith’s technique of cutting out by hand and gluing each individual element has inspired a generation of artists.
He is classically trained in Renaissance art, having left the U.S. in 1969 to study at the Academy of Fine Arts in Florence, where he lived for several years before moving to Rome.
Over the last 35 years, Winston has had numerous one-man shows in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York City, London, Berlin, Antwerp, Rome and Tokyo, as well as group shows throughout the United States and Europe.
“Winston Smith’s collage art is a cutting sociopolitical commentary on the late 20th Century. Irreverent in style, each unique piece is bursting with color and kinetic ideas.” – H.R. Giger
TOURS AND EXHIBITIONS OF NOTE
- Los Angeles, CA - Too Fast to Live Too Young to Die, Group Show Curated by Shepard Fairey — Subliminal Projects Gallery (February, 2011)
- San Francisco, CA - Tokyo Pop!!, Joint Show with Kosuke Kawamura — Fivepoints Arthouse (February, 2011)
- Tokyo, Japan - 33 Idols, Joint Show with Kosuke Kawamura — Super Deluxe (October, 2010)
- San Francisco, CA - Deep Dimension, Solo Exhibition — Robert Berman E6 Gallery (October, 2010)
- Santa Monica, CA - In God We Trust, Inc., Solo Exhibition — Copro Gallery, Bergamot Station (October, 2009)
- Santa Fe, NM — Group Exhibition — Pop Gallery Santa Fe (October, 2008)
- San Francisco, CA - You’re Just No Fun Anymore, Solo Exhibition — Glama-Rama Salon (August, 2008)
- Santa Monica, CA - Alex Steinweiss, Creator of the Album Cover, Group Show — Robert Berman Gallery, Bergamot Station (January, 2008)
- Detroit, MI - Carnivora: The Dark Art of the Automobile, Group Show — CPop Gallery (January, 2008)
- Oklahoma City, CA - Pop Surrealism, Group Show with Frank Kozik — Eleanor Kirkpatrick Gallery (April, 2007)
- San Francisco, CA - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, With Robert Williams, Eric Kroll, Charles Krafft — Shooting Gallery (November, 2005)
- World Tour - Against the Grain, Custom Twin Fin Surfboards Designed by Punk Legends (Summer, 2005)
- Hollywood, CA - Adventures in Illegal Art, Group Show (May, 2005)
- San Francisco, CA — Sci-Fi Western Show, Group Show (January, 2003)
- New York, NY - Untouched by Human Hands, Solo Exhibition — Fuse Gallery (October, 2002)
- San Francisco, CA - Propaghanda, Group Show with Aidan Hughes and Shepard Fairey — 66 Balmy Gallery (January, 2002)
- Detroit, MI - Only an Animal Could Understand, Solo Exhibition — CPop Gallery (September, 2001)
- Rome, Torino, Bologna, Milan - God Told Me to Skin You Alive, Group Tour with Jello Biafra (May, 2001)
- New York, NY - All Quiet on the Western Front, Group Show — Max Fish (April, 2001)
- San Francisco, CA - No Turning Back, Solo Exhibition — Culture Cache Gallery (February, 2001)
- Free University of San Francisco - San Francisco (March, 2011)
- Loyola University - Chicago, IL (March, 2006)
- Saint Mary’s College -South Bend, IN (March, 2006)
- San Francisco Art Institute — San Francisco, CA (c. 1998)
- Various other lectures and presentations for high school and college level groups.
EXHIBITION POSTERS AND FLYERS
Contact us. Winston produces custom commissions, posters and album art. A selection of originals from 1977 to the present are available to serious collectors.